One of the comments we get when we talk to clients is that they are amazed we can photograph so many body types and make them all look amazing. We are often asked how we pose them.
Well, its simple. We fallow a few easy rules to help women show their best angles. Really, anyone can follow these rules! It doesn't matter what the scale says, how tall you are or what body type you have. So, next time you are in front of a camera try these few easy steps.
1. Picture a clock. If the camera is at 12:00 you're going to want to angle your hips so one is at 1:00 and the other is at 7:00. Just turn slightly to one side or the other. It is a simple step but it makes a world of difference!
2. Shift your weight. You always want to make sure the weight is on your back leg, no matter what your body shape is. The knee closest to the camera should be bent to give even better shape.
3. Arm Placement is Key. Standing with your arms at your side feels weird, right? That's because you shouldn't leave them both just dangling there. The arm closest to the camera should be placed on your hip, then moved up two inches.
4. Don't Forget Your Face. Most people forget that the position of your face can make or break and image. To get the best angle move your face towards the camera and then down slightly.
5. Sexy Shoulders. As women, we tend to hold tension in our shoulders and it is easy to see when you are doing so. So take a moment to relax yourself and in turn relax those shoulders down.
Here is a simple image I had our associate photographer, Rob take of me. See how dramatically different they are? Yet these two images were taken less than a minute apart! In the image on the left you can see how square I am to the camera and how my arms are by my sides. This increases my body by a full arm! It's just not flattering. But by putting my heads on my hips I am able to separate my arm from my body like you see in the right image. Adding the weight shift to that makes a world of difference.